has won support from Saltburn co-star Richard E Grant for his role in an upcoming biopic about The Beatles. Earlier this week, it was revealed that 32-year-old Barry had been cast as Ringo Starr in an epic four-part film series to be directed by Sam Mendes.
Paul Mescal has been announced as the role of Harris Dickinson as John Lennon, and Joseph Quinn set to portray George Harrison. The casting news has sparked lively debate among film and music fans but acting icon Richard, 67, has signalled his approval over Barry winning the role of Ringo.
The duo co-starred in the smash film Saltburn which was released in 2023 and saw Barry's character, Oliver Quick, conspire against the Catton family - lead by Richard's patriarch Sir James Catton. The actor has spoken like a proud dad over the news that Barry has now won the coveted role as a Beatle.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:
Appearing on on Friday, Richard gushed: “He’s an extraordinary actor. He’s unlike anybody else I’ve ever, ever worked with before, so completely untrained, instinctive and brilliant. I think he’ll be a fantastic Ringo Starr.”
Details of the upcoming film series have suggested that Oscar winning director Sam will focus on each of the Beatle members in the four-film series. Deadline reported last year: "Mendes’ vision for the Beatles film series is to make four separate, but interconnected theatrical films — one from the point of view of each member of the band. He’ll direct all four, though who is scripting each, and in what order they’ll shoot is not yet clear."

The cast was confirmed at CinemaCon 2025 in Las Vegas on Monday - where Sam expressed his love for the iconic band. He gushed to People: "The Beatles changed my understanding of music. I’ve been trying to make a movie about them for years."
Ringo Starr previously shared his excitement about the forthcoming biopics. He told People: "[I'm] excited to see what [Sam Mendes] does with [the] madness of making four movies at the same time... There’ll be Beatles in mine around when I joined, and there’ll be Beatles in Paul’s. We’ll all be there.”
There has been some backlash over the casting, however, as some fans have been deeply disappointed that no actors from Liverpool have been cast in the lead roles. One fan complained online: “This is the worst Beatles casting imaginable. Seriously?"
Another typed: "Surely there are plenty of talented actors from Liverpool that could have been cast.” Another film fan complained: “I am already cringing at the awful Scouse accents.”
And another commented: “Why are you casting a movie about four Scouse lads coming from nothing... and not having one Scouser.” While a further X user wrote: “ I’m fed up of seeing the same people over and over again and I’m sure they could’ve easily found people from Liverpool to play them.”
The Beatles were formed in 1960 after John Lennon originally formed a band called The Quarrymen in 1956. The group conquered the globe with their upbeat tunes - and unleashed 12 albums between 1963 and 1970.
Tragedy befell the group in 1980 when Mark David Chapman shot dead John at the age of 40 outside The Dakota apartment block in New York City. George died at the age of 58 in 2001 after a cancer battle.
The Beatles film series is expected to be released in April 2028 and is the first biopic about the band to win the support of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and the families of John Lennon and George Harrison.
Follow Mirror Celebs on , , , , , and
You may also like
Child and pet-friendly £7.50 grass feed makes lawns 'thicker and greener' in days
"India reaching new heights of development": Yogi Adityanath expresses admiration for PM Modi's leadership
IPL 2025: Cricket Takes Time, But If You Do The Right Things, Success Will Come, Says Jaiswal
Govt failed to address Muslim concerns: Sandeep Dikshit slams Waqf amendment Bill
PM Modi in Sri Lanka: India, Sri Lanka sign 7 pacts; defence cooperation, energy and digital links in focus